Thursday, July 23, 2009
The Markets
I think my favorite thing about being immersed in this culture is the markets. French people like to buy their food fresh, so they tend to buy only what they will need for a few days.
In Toulouse, there is a market that I go to that's right off one of the subway stops. Its vendors sell fruit & vegetables and bread Tues. through Sunday mornings. Some of those days, meat and fish vendors join them. In Toulouse, there are several markets including one market that's indoors on the first floor of a parking gare (that's garage in French) that is all meat and fish vendors. You can buy whole fish, and even a whole rabbit ready to roast (I haven't braved that one and I don't think I will). The fruit and vegetable vendors set up around the outside of the garage.
Smaller towns have market days once or twice a week and their markets include other things in addition to food. The pictures posted that are not of food vendors are pictures of the twice weekly market in Arles (Provence). If you look closely you can see them selling clothing as well as fabric and related items. There were even people selling hardware and household type items (even matresses). In Arles, once a month, the market is a flea market.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment