Monday, May 31, 2010

Energy in France

Here in Europe, electricity is not taken for granted. I think we Americans could learn something from the Europeans about this. As we've traveled throughout France (and a little in Spain, Greece, Italy and Britain) their common spaces are lit only "on-demand." Hotel hallways, public restrooms and other public spaces have timed switches or motion sensors to control the lighting. The hallways in our apartment building have motion sensors to trigger the lights.

When I think of just the hotels across America that have lights on 24/7, I know we could do better. There are things we can learn from the Europeans. Another, people here use reusable shopping bags (reinforced plastic, it reminds me of the reinforcing of strapping tape) almost exclusively, and if you don't remember to bring your bag along with you, you can buy one of the "Cub type" bags for $0.03 a piece. I know we've started using reusable bags in America but. . . When I come home later this month, I'm bringing my reinforced bags to Cub and saving some energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment