Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Strasbourg - The Christmas Capitole



This past weekend we visited Strasbourg, in the northeast of France, in the Alsace region, very near the German border. I have lots to tell you about this fascinating city but for this post I'm concentrating on Strasbourg as the Christmas capital. Strasbourg has been celebrating Christmas officially since 1570 so I guess it has reason to claim it's the capital. It also has a lot of Christmas markets - more about those in my next entry.



This city was really "decked out" for the holidays. The streets and store fronts were very festive. Did you notice the stork (stuffed) in one of the pictures above. There were stuffed storks all over the city. Storks are a kind of symbol for the city and there is a stork wildlife refuge near Strasbourg.

Their electrical decorations are the best I've seen. My favorite was the delicate snowflakes. The tree stands in one of the city parks and the little lit village sits underneath it. They called it the Village of Sharing and it's represented by charitable organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment